Friday, March 14, 2014

The Martha- Mary Paradox

Martha was the best hostess in all of Israel.... but Mary's devotion to our Lord was even better.  Martha's home church is unrivaled.  It was Jesus base of operations when He came to Jerusalem.  And yet.... .Mary her sisters time with our Lord was even better by far.

The Martha - Mary paradox is something I suffer from.  We can read about Martha and Mary with Jesus in Luke's gospel.  Jesus loved them so much.  Jesus would stay at Martha's house.  She would take care of all feasts for Him.  Mary, her sister, was a less energetic woman.  She just sat there with Jesus.  To all appearances she wasn't doing her fare share of the work.  Mary just  loved sitting at His feet, listening to Him, knowing Him, adoring Jesus of Nazareth.  He  raised their brother Lazarus from the dead.  Lazarus walked out of the tomb after 4 days when The Resurrection and the Life, Jesus, called him out of death. 

But what is the paradox?  
(Image: adifferentwayofseeing.wordpress)
 The tension between Martha's service  and Mary's devotion.  Martha was awesome.  The most wonderful host in all of Israel. Her home was Jesus home base in Judah.   But, one day, Jesus told her the truth.  Mary was even better!  But all Mary did was sit there with Jesus.  Jesus explained to Martha that Mary had chosen something even better; simply sitting with Him.  Amazing.  

The truth is all of our service only can flow from our 'sitting at Jesus feet.'  We cannot even do service without being intimately united to our Source, our Master Jesus. It is impossible.  Jesus says so Himself.   Jesus explaines: "STAY JOINED TO ME, AND I WILL STAY JOINED TO YOU.  IF YOU STAY JOINED TO ME, AND I STAY JOINED TO YOU, THEN YOU WILL PRODUCE LOTS OF FRUIT.  BUT YOU CANNOT  DO ANYTHING WITHOUT ME."  (John 15 CEV)

 In a sense I think we all are caught up the Martha - Mary  paradox.  The tension between service,  verses simple love and devotion and time loving our Lord.   I've had to learn this one the hard way over and over again for 20 years.  I constantly have to return to sitting at Jesus feet.  I know that without Him I can do nothing.  Not even draw my next breath. Jesus has told me I'm a Mary. Even though I'd like to be able to do everything like Martha.  I try, but soon realize I can't.  However, I can do something even better.   I love to worship our Lord Jesus.   I'm a widow.  He is my Husband now.

The classic example of this paradox is the church at Ephesus. (Revelation 2:1-7)  Jesus sent a letter to His followers in Ephesus. He commended them.  Their service was impeccable, like Martha's!    Tragically, they had lost their First Love.  Yet, we cannot do service without being intimately united to our Master.  It is impossible.  Jesus says so Himself. 

How can we get our First Love back?  Jesus tells us in Revelation 2:7.  We need to remember Him, and how much we loved Him at first, and turn back to our Lord.  It's that easy.  I think worshiping Him is one important key.  What is worship?  Simple love, communion with God. I like to worship Him by singing, and dancing, and walking and talking with Jesus Spirit.  He returns the love.  I'm sure there are other ways to worship too, gratefulness, contemplation, Bible reading, even serving can be a form of worship. 

 Prayer and fasting is one powerful way to come back to Jesus even more fervently.
Prayer is simply talking to God, Jesus.  Fasting is our total commitment to seek His face. We humble ourselves when we fast. In fact, in the Old Testament humbling oneself was is the same as with fasting.    May we all seek His face, love union with Jesus, even more.  Amen.   

God promises:  IF MY PEOPLE WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME WILL HUMBLE THEMSELVES, AND PRAY, AND TURN FROM THEIR WICKED WAYS, THEN I WILL HEAR FROM HEAVEN AND HEAL..... (Chronicles)

No comments:

Post a Comment